Friday, January 15, 2010

my heart goes out to you haiti

Tuesday there was an earthquake in Haiti.
i found out about it a couple days ago and thought nothing of it. Ah, earthquake, 7 on scale, right. Of course, i had no idea of what a 7 meant. Just remember that our Northridge earthquake was a 6.9, and Haiti is poor.

This morning i was dropping my brother off at school when I randomly decided to start listening to npr again. I learned that 1/3 of the population has been written off as either hurt or dead.
That's huge.
7,000 bodies were buried. That's more than 9/11. and there are many more bodies that have NOT been buried.

The Haitian government has no resources and cannot assist their people. Many areas have not seen any sign of the government, including police, since the disaster. They are left to fend for themselves while international aid is slowly coming to the capital.





It blows my mind how I can be so wrapped up in my little bubble of friends and family, filled only with concerns of going back to school, renovating my house, and emotional stability all around, while not too far from here people are dying, orphaned, injured, and starving to death, all without clean water or government aid.








i feel like a jerk...
if only there was a way to help.

2 comments:

  1. join a service that can help people perhaps?
    or donate money?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can text Haiti to 90999 and a $10 charge will be put to your next phone bill that'll be sent to Haiti.

    ReplyDelete